Venkat Panchapakesan Memorial Scholarship [Tips from winners]
Every year Google offers the Venkat Memorial Scholarship to a certain number of students [6 students for last two years, We had reached out to Scholarship Authority which they mentioned number 6 is pure coincidence, number 6 can vary] from India pursuing Computer Science or a closely related field. [Thing is you should be interested and did some digging on Computer Science]
How to Apply
Indian students can apply here via this Google Form.
Please ensure you fill this accurately, so once selected Google Officials will call (also Email) you when selected.
Before diving into tips from winners who were able to crack this, let’s see the scholarship overview.
Who is Venkat Panchapakesan?
Venkat was a much loved and highly respected engineer whose career took him to YouTube, Google and Yahoo, among other notable companies. He tragically passed away, too young, after a battle with cancer. During his short time he deeply touched the hearts and minds of his friends, family and colleagues. He taught us to be generous, humble, ever-optimistic and to always find the best in people. In memory of late Venkat Panchapakesan, Google is offering scholarships to outstanding students pursuing Computer Science and related fields.
Benefits of Scholarship
Selected students will receive
- A financial award of 750 USD towards tuition and education-related expenses
- An invitation to visit the YouTube headquarters in San Bruno, California, USA.
- An opportunity to submit a proposal, and potentially receive a funding of up to 225 USD to spend on growing computer science in the local community.
Expected Candidate Profile
Google is specifically looking for university students who:
- Aspire to be computer scientists and technology leaders
- Exemplify leadership skills and a demonstrated passion for computer science and technology
- Assist those around them to excel in the field of computer science and technology
- Help their friends and family members use computer science and technology
- Leverage the field of computer science to transform systems (from building the next game changing technology, to even helping families be happy, etc.)
- Have faced adversity and overcome it to continue learning and growing in the field of computer science
- Write an essay (300 words maximum) to tell us about the following:
- How do you plan to use computer science to make the world a more sustainable place?
- If you receive this scholarship, how will you use it to advance your passion and the goals of this scholarship?
- Write an essay (250 words maximum) to tell us about the following: What adversity have you faced, and how did it impact your career? Please explain the steps you took to overcome it.
- Submit a video (1 minute maximum) telling us why you would like to receive this scholarship. Please upload it to YouTube and share the link in the application.
- Submit your resume/CV. Be sure to include your experience in the area of computer science, as well as your leadership experiences and the impact you have created.
- Submit 2 letters of recommendation. They can be from your faculty or supervisors at your workplace (internship, part-time job, full-time job).
This scholarship was started 2 years prior.
Who won this last year?
|Felix Josemon||Government Engineering College, Thrissur||Thrissur, Kerala|
|Sriparna Ghosh||Dayananda Sagar College Of Engineering, Bangalore||Kolkata|
|Saumya Suvarna||Vellore Institute of Technology, Tamil Nadu||Mumbai|
|Baani Leen Kaur Jolly||Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology, Delhi||Delhi|
|Nikita Sivakumar||NIT Tiruchirappalli,Tamil Nadu||Tamil Nadu|
|Rohan Saxena||BITS Pilani, Pilani Campus||Goa|
|Prince Raju||M A College of Engineering, Kerala||Ernakulam|
|Aditi Mithal||Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology, Delhi||Delhi|
|Shivam Kumar||Jadavpur University, Kolkata||Kolkata|
|Sidak Pal Singh||IIT Roorkee||Ludhiyana, Punjab|
|Chodisetty Lakshmi Sirisha||International Institute of Information Technology, Bangalore||Hyderabad|
|Bhavana Jain||IIT, Hyderabad||—|
Tips from Selected Winners
Aditi Mithal, who shared passion for teaching school children with computer basics in rural area. She is still continuing her works( Check them here- https://www.facebook.com/JC-Bilingual-School-Rajwanti-Public-Academy-691224567558710/ ). She envisions to bring a future for these students by introducing iPads, Desktop PCs and Tablets to teach them advanced software skills.
Tips from Lakshmi Sirisha.
Letter of Recommendations : Choose two professors from your college or any mentors who know you very well and can provide you a good recommendation
Video : Express you have a strong will to do something for the community using computer science knowledge
Questions : Answer all of them clearly. Mention any challenges you faced and what have you done to overcome them.
Tip from Shivam Kumar.
In essay try to emphasise on the community work that you have done.If you have organised Hackathons, Seminars, Coding competitions etc. mention their details.Also, try to show the impact that you have created through this.
Mention some problems that you have faced and how you overcome it.For e.g Initially, when I joined college I did not have any background in computer science.So, I faced a lot of problems.I mentioned about how I overcome this problem.
Try to showcase your passion for learning computer science.Mention what you have made.It could be a simple app, web applications or anything useful.
Mention some idea about how computer science can make an impact to society.For e.g — If farmers in the rural area learn to use the internet, then can get a lot of benefits.It will improve their income and lifestyle.
Be genuine and give something original.
Please keep these point in mind while writing the application.
I have attached my latest resume (I can not find my resume at that time) as well as the Video link.
Sriparna of 2017 cohort has did a Youtube Live which you can watch here-
Overall it is a decent scholarship for Indian students pursuing an interest in Computer Science. The Exposure and experience one can get while in college are immense. The Tuition expenses of 750 dollars would help to those who took student loans. The additional grant of 225 USD can be used to build on solving problems in the local community.
Join our Facebook Group where we are interviewing Previous Venkat Scholars-
We have completed Opportunity AMA’s with every Venkat scholars of 2017.
Here you can find AMA of Sriparna-
AMA of Nikita
You can ask questions to them directly on our Facebook group! Come Join in-
Find AMA’s (Ask me anything) with previous Venkat Panchapakesan Scholarship winners here- https://www.opcollege.in/ask-me-anything/